What is your business philosophy?

What is your business philosophy?

I have a couple of points to share:

• Provide more value than what people expect. This doesn’t necessarily mean more in terms of content.
  • Help people grow with you. Membership means regular doses of something. Make that something in such a way that will help others grow and get better.
  • Focus on less, not more. After all, people are part of other communities. You can’t expect them to read all of your posts, watch all of your videos, etc. Sometimes less is more.
  • Be 100% transparent with your members. I believe no further info is needed here.
3 Likes

Provide more value than what people expect. This doesn’t necessarily mean more in terms of content.

:100: More is not necessarily more. For a lot of publishers, one of the main reasons to move to a membership model is to get off the short-form, click-batey content train in favor of deeper, more meaningful content.

1 Like

In addition to some of what has been already mentioned, I’d say that a big one for us is:

Go where your audience is. Don’t expect them to come to you.

We’re publishing a science fiction magazine. For us, this translates to making sure that the stories are available in the formats people want (online, ebooks, audio/podcast, youtube, etc.) and that commercial options are in all the ecosystems they commonly use (where possible & reasonable). We have digital subscriptions in stores for the people who would never order right from our website and vice versa. We see this as a move to minimize excuses for not reading or supporting what we do.

3 Likes

This really resonates with me. I often tell new customers starting out that, “If you build it, they will come” only works in the movies. :upside_down_face:

1 Like